While the term aromatherapy was coined less then 100 years ago, the use of essential oils and the external application of scented plants as medicines is thousands of years old. Scent is an intoxicating healing art that inspires the body to chemically re-balance as well as the mind and spirit.
Come participate in this 11 week correspondence course. We will use essential oils, healing baths, burning of plants, and herbal teas externally applied as medicines. We will study the chemical, spiritual, and emotional properties of essential oil use, which will include organ system application, formulation, and spiritual healing techniques.
History, study and research will be our guides, experience and speaking will help us integrate, and writing and speaking will help us learn our voice and our art.
Lessons will be sent out on a Monday, and homework will be turned in on the following Monday. The course officially begins March 8, but I will allow registration until Monday March 15th.
Cost for the course is $300. You are responsible for ordering and paying for the books. Essential oils may be obtained from Essential Oil University-which is where I purchase mine, or you may purchase them through me.
If you are interested, please contact Kathy Eich through this website.
In this correspondence course, we will
- Introduction to History of essential oil use and Energetics systems; top middle and base, and the medicinal properties of each; the basics of practice: trust, and confidence: homework: chose a period in the history of essential oil use that speaks to you, and write a report on that time periods medicines, and energetics systems application
- Materia medica-working with simples; vibration of the oils; reaction the scents elicit; contraindications, safety by dilution; what not to use topically; oils not to be used
- Formulation part 1: the basics
- Systems classes 1-4: basic function of the organ system, illness acute and chronic associated with each, essential oils for symptom relief, that address the infection directly, and for long term health/tonic, application methodology, basic formula examples
- Circulatory/Heart/Nervous System-anxiety, insomnia, depression, mood, nerve damage and regeneration of function
- Musculo-skeletal system/ Skin: joint and muscle pain and inflammation, topical infections, cell regeneration
- Lymphatic/Immune: cancer, allergies, and auto-immune disorders
- Basics of chemical constituents
- Formulation part 2: based on the person: the temperament and spiritual applications of use; inclusion of science, emotion, intuition; the personalities of clients, and how to work with each
- Formulation for Chakra balancing, and baths for spiritual healing; Closing, and assistance in preparing for talks.
- Will include an outline and supportive material where applicable, for example the materia medica class will include a Materia Medica with supportive reading list
- Will include a project with homework to complete
Required reading for the class we come from these books.
- The Art of Aromatherapy, Robert B. Tisserand
- The Practice of Aromatherapy, Dr. Jean Valnet
- Rene-Maurice Gattefosse, Aromatherapy: The First Book on Aromatherapy,
- Kurt Schnaubelt, Advanced Aromatherapy: The Science of Essential Oil Therapy
- Kathi Keville and Mindy Green, Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art
Essential oils used in the course:
- Top notes: bergamont, grapefruit, lemongrass, sweet mandarin, petitgrain, peppermint
- Middle notes: lavender, rosemary, holy basil, cardamom, geranium, thyme, clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus, balsam peru, clary sage, yarrow
- Base notes: frankincense, myrrh, vetiver, spikenard, and ylang ylang.
At the end of the course, you will be required to prepare and give a free 45 minuet talk in your community, to be followed by a 3 hour workshop instructing those on the basics of aromatherapy, with focus on the historical period of your choice, and a few applications and techniques which can be used for therapy. Sample formulas for smelling, and students getting hands on formulation experience should be a part of this class. You will charge for the class, and need to assess material fees to be charged, prepare an outline, and reading list for further information.